I haven’t done a top ten list in a while, so here goes. Toys that I miss playing with from when I was a kid.
(10) Popples. Do you remember those stuffed, brightly colored things? My sister used to turn them into their balls and throw them at each other.
(09) Lite Brights. I loved that thing even though I could never make anything cool without looking at a design.
(08) My Little Ponies. My best friend and I cooked up elaborate stories for our ponies. They lived like humans did in our world. They had love affairs and lived in fancy houses. We had crazy imaginations.
(07) Trolls. Do you remember these particular dolls? The all plastic ones with the tufts of bright hair?
(06) Breyer Horses. I was a big collector and I even went to (geek alert) Breyer Horse Shows. Consequently, I have several horses you couldn’t get anywhere else and are probably worth a decent amount of money. Too bad I took them out of all their boxes. They’re still probably worth something. They’re packed up and in storage now.
(05) Chinese jump rope. I seem to be the only one I know who remembers this particular game so here’s what Wikipedia has to say.
The game is played with a rope (or, more frequently, a string of rubber bands) that has been tied into a circle. Two of the participants face each other, with their feet together, and position the rope around their ankles so that is it taut. The third player then stands between the two sides of the rope and must accomplish a specific series of moves without making an error or pausing.
(04) Glo-Worms. Hard and plastic and difficult to cuddle, but I couldn’t sleep without it.
(03) Lincoln Logs. There wasn’t much to do with them besides stack and stack some more, but I couldn’t get enough of them. I made amazingly tall houses.
(02) Slinkies. And why wouldn’t they EVER go down the stairs the way they were supposed to? They never did, but they were sure fun to toss around and fiddle with. That is, until they became tangled up. Those things were a bitch to straighten out.
(01) Barbies. Of course. Again, my best friend and I were SO into our Barbie stories. Or, I should say, story. We had one storyline and it just kept going and going and going… Embarassingly enough, we actually kept playing with them until we were thirteen or so. Now I’d still like to collect the Marilyn Barbies should I ever manage to find some that aren’t obscenely expensive.
What were your favorite toys growing up?